My Motto

Be compassionate to the needy, Neither squander wealth nor hoard it. Never lose your sense of shame, if questions are asked of you, answer them frankly but do not ask too many yourself. Be manly and of good cheer. Never kill a foe who is begging for mercy and be ever loyal in love

Own your own way

Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead, Go Instead Where There Is No Path And LEAVE a TRAIL ....
By R. Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I Wanna Write Something On "Present Perfect Tense"



So many new English learners unfourtunately have troubles about the differences between "present perfect tense and the past simple tense". I believe, this is because of the similarities of the translations of both sentences that are constructed in the these forms but the solution of this entanglement is actually very easy. How ? We should first know that how many past tenses we have in Turkish. Only one but we can divide this past tense into two in its own form so we have "mışlı" and "dılı" past tenses in Turkish ( by the way I wanna add this: the people who are not Turkish language borned claim that Turks never lie because they say "you use 'mış' in your sentences as if other guys said the sentence". I think this is so funny :-))) anyway let's back to our subject.) Present PERFECT Tense tells about the things that happen in the past but go on in present or have just ended so we can still be affected by it.Have and Has are used as auxiliary verbs in Present Perfect Tense and also we are to use verb 3 ın thıs tense. These are simple differences of Present Perfect Tense. Every English teachers claim that we dont have PRESENT PERFECT TENSE in Turkish but I wanna put an argue for this because to me we do have Present Perfect Tense in Turkish not Past Simple Tense. Here are my reasons for trying to prove my idea:
             1.It ıs saıd that we do not have to use any time expressıons whıle making sentences in PRESENT  perfect tense, let's take a look to Turkish " Ben eve gittim, Ayşe top oynadı, Onlar çamurda koştular, Babam ve oğlum pikniğe gittiler." there are not any incorrectness of styles even though we use no time expressions. The same structure works in Turkish I think as it is in English.
             
             2.In Present Perfect Tense we can make a sentence like that " I have had breakfast this morning" and also in Past Simple "I had breakfast this morning". I know they are same when we translate them into Turkish : Ben bu sabah kahvaltı yaptım. I have always supported the deep meaning in the sentences, when we use Present Perfect Tense, the sentence means it is still morning so the process may go on but when we use Past Sımple Tense, it is anyother times apart from morning so the process cannot be repeated again.
            
             3.There is no proper response for Present Perfect Tense so I have made up one ı hope you lıke it    " Günümüzle Bağlantılı Geçmiş Zaman"
    Here are some examples of Present Perfect Tense:

  • Don't forget to post the letter, will you?' `I've already posted it.'
  • What time is Mark leaving?' `He's already gone
  • I've written the letter but I haven't posted it yet.
  • Jim is away on holiday. He has gone to Spain. (= he is there now or on his way there)
  • Would you like something to eat?' `No, thanks. I've just had lunch.'
  • Ow! I've cut my finger. ( it is still blooding)
  • Where's your key?' `I don't know. I've lost it.' (I haven't got it now) ( I still dont have it)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Mevlana


...
Üzülme, dert etme can.
Görebiliyorsan, dokunabiliyorsan, nefes alabiliyorsan,
yürüyebiliyorsan ne mutlu sana.
Elinde olmayanları söyleme bana.
Elinde olanlardan bahset can.
Üzülme.
Geceler hep kimsesiz mi geçecek?
Gidenler dönmeyecek mi?
Yitirdiğin her ne ise; bir bakarsın yağmurlu bir gecede veya bir bahar sabahında karşına çıkmış.
Bil ki, güzellikler de var bu hayatta.
Gel Git’lerin olmadığı bir hayat düşünebilir misin?
Hüzün olgunlaştırır,
Kaybetmek sabrı öğretir.

My Dear ISTANBUL

My Dear ISTANBUL